11/27/2009

Black Friday, please...

For the first time in 9 years we had a traditional Thanksgiving! It was my parents and my custom to go to Galveston and feast at Landry’s every year. My dad and I would devour as many oysters as our cravings would allow and then we would start to eat! Landry’s offers such an extensive spread (buffet style) and we love it, but this year we decided to go with the time-honored home cooked meal and it was lovely.



I was always too young to cook when we went the traditional route, but now that I am 25 (and enjoy cooking) I wanted to whip up a few sides myself!







I made a celery root and potato puree, maple-glazed carrots and parsnips, and fresh cranberry sauce with caramelized ginger and sugar (this recipe came out of Domino Magazine a few years ago). It all turned out delicious; however, my timing was a bit off. I believe that is the mark of a true chef, flawlessly timing every dish to where it is served piping hot on the table. I’ve got a lot of room for improvement. We were line up at the microwave, lol.



Nevertheless, we all gobbled till we wobbled and had a great time… and I am thankful for that.



. . .




Now it’s Black Friday and I could give a rat!!! I personally know a few loons (you know I love you guys) who braved the masses at 4am for the ‘door busters’ and ‘steel of a deals’. It’s true what they say, I was told people were wrapped around our local gargantuan shopping center waiting to get into Best Buy for their PS3’s and flat screens. I know we have a lousy economy and people are itching to save, but I find myself preferring to cough up the extra bucks to save myself from that mess!


I told my boss that I didn’t mind coming into work today just in case we had any traffic, and I don’t mind, I love my little world here, but I have only been visited by two people! We don’t have any door busters… any slashed prices… sorry! Black Friday is a day for massive retail conglomerates, not charming little antique stores – and so be it, that is fine by me.



I thought I would start pondering my Christmas list of what to give my loved ones and what to answer back when I am asked, “What do you want for Christmas?!?!?!”



This is fun. :)



As we all know, it is much easier to know what we want for ourselves than for others. I pretty much want everything from Jayson Home & Garden. This Quartz Votive is so me! I love the mix of nature and opulence. Like organic meets gilded glam...



It takes time and thoughtful effort to conjure up ideas of what to gift my friends and family. I'm sure none of them would appreciate this Phrenology Head as much as me. It's fantastically weird. I want it.

And this little guy, isn't he a hoot?? (lame, I know)

I think owls are so neat, and I think he would look great perched on the floating shelves that I don't have in my bed room. :) haha





Mmmm, and this lustrous Lancaster Tea Set.... a bit of whimsy never hurts anyone.



Perfect to display in the kitchen of the house that I don't have with the glass front kitchen cabinet doors that don't exist. One day my humble dreams will come true. Until then, I shall merrily collect these objects while working my way up in this world.



And now for furniture...





The Greta table... what a perfect little gilded accent piece. I also wouldn't mind Christopher Spitzmiller shedding a little light on it either!



And it would all look damn good next to this bad boy...



Greenwich chair, won't you be mine?



I am going to buy you, and reupholster you, (not that I don't like your Zenith-Moss Silk, I just want charcoal silk velvet) and sit in you, and read my magazines, and blog, and watch Dexter, and sip coffee, and nap... and love you forever and ever!



That chair, mark my words, will be my first big purchase once I fly the coup!







Palma Desk, your second. You, with your sexy sawhorse legs... that industrial, homemade allure gets me every time!



I would LOVE to post what I intend on buying a few people for Christmas, but I can't because some of the frequent this blog.



Until next time...



No comments:

Post a Comment