10/12/2009

Irresistible Ikat

Ikat fabric is believed to be of Western Asia origin of the first millennium A.D. It’s a complex artistic technique used to create images on textiles. It obtains its name from the Malay word mengikat which means “to tie.” The process of creating Ikat fabric differs from other methods in that the threads are dyed with the designs/images before placed on the loom.

In my opinion, it has completely overwhelmed the industry because you can now find it in the inspired pages of the Pottery Barn catalog! Ikat patterns can be found on fabrics, carpets, wallpapers, wall hangings, and all over the pages of fantastic décor magazines. Below are some images of Ikat designs -- from over the top to a perfect pop.





























3 comments:

  1. I've always loved ikat and think I always will. That blue settee is one of my all time favorites and in my files too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way too gorgeous. Is that wallpaper in the eighth picture?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Owl Barn, I believe it is wallpaper!

    ReplyDelete